Can my daughter/son/friend drive the car for me?
You can have 2 named drivers on the car insurance and add a 3rd person for a small cost.
How do I know I am eligible for a car under the Motability Car Scheme?
To be eligible to join the Motability Scheme, you need to receive one of the following mobility allowances and you must have at least 12 months’ award length remaining.
- Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HMRC DLA)
- Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment ERMC PIP)
- War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
Can I learn to drive in my Motability car?
If you are eligible to join the Motability Scheme you can learn to drive in your Motability car at the age of 16. Any other drivers with provisional licences must be over 21 if you want them to drive your car, and you can only have one learner driver on your Certificate of Motor Insurance at any one time.
Can I take a test drive?
When you call the dealership to make an appointment they will talk you through what your requirements are and make recommendations on the cars that would be most suitable or If you have a specific model in mind the dealership can ensure they have this available for you to test drive.
If your car requires adaptations it may take up to 48 hours to arrange for a car to be available with these adaptations on the car.
What do I need to bring along when I come to place an order?
When it comes to placing an order, you will need to take:
- Your Certificate of Entitlement (This is a letter from your benefits agency) to prove you are in receipt of the allowance
- A recent utility bill to prove your address (i.e. gas/ electricity/ water bill, bank statement)
- Your driving licence (if you are to be the driver)
- The nominated drivers who will be on the insurance need to be present with their driving licence. If they are unable to attend, they must complete a Driver Consent form.
What about my next car on the Scheme?
You can order your next car three months before the end of your lease but it’s a good idea to start thinking about your next vehicle a few months before.
Can one household have two customers who are both on the Motability Scheme?
There are no restrictions to the number of Motability Scheme cars within a household, as long as all individual applicants are each in receipt of a qualifying mobility allowance and meet the eligibility criteria. The customer’s allowance is used to cover the cost of the lease so it is only possible to have one vehicle per customer. The number of non-Motability vehicles in a household does not affect eligibility for the Scheme.
Do you have vehicles on Motability that are less than my mobility allowance?
We have quite a few vehicles available on Motability that are less than your mobility allowance. You can view them here.